BACK
Website: www.iseum.savariamuseum.hu Phone: 00 36 945 01709 Cell phone: 00 36 30 311 8794 City: Szombathely
Address:
  • Szombathely, Rákóczi Ferenc u. 6-8, 9700
50%

ISEUM SAVARIENSE
Category: Entertainment

The earliest inscribed monument of the Isis sanctuary in Savaria is the altar stone erected by Tiberius Barbius Valens, which is particularly interesting in that it was erected by one of the city’s duumvirs (mayors).

This definitely points to a significant local Isis community and the existence of a sanctuary, certainly built of wood, as early as the end of the 1st century AD. The imposing fresco fragments depicting life-size priests and priestesses of Isis with a sistrum in their hands may have come from the battered plaster of this sanctuary.

During the time of Emperor Hadrian, the sanctuary was built in stone and expanded with a vestibule, the facade of which faces Amber Road. The size of the monumental sanctuary complex is 44 x 72 m, making it the fourth largest Iseum of the Roman Empire (Alexandria, Rome, Sabbratha) according to our knowledge today. The sanctuary and its building decorations were built in the 2nd-3rd centuries AD. At the turn of the century, it was renovated during the Severus dynasty, as indicated by the fragments of the sanctuary’s main inscription. During the excavations between 1955-61, led by Tihamér Szentléleky, the facade of the church was found